Staff should be well informed about, and able to apply effectively, the principles of safe exercise practice when completing risk assessments of specific dance exercises and movements, especially in relation to:
• warming up and cooling down
• developing and monitoring safe, effective and correct dance technique (eg knees over toes when bending, correct spinal alignment in different moves, avoiding moves/exercises that put stress on the neck, lower back or knees)
• developing safe technique for lifting or supporting others’ weight (when appropriate)
• helping students to develop flexibility, muscular strength and endurance and cardiovascular fitness for dance
• meeting the basic psychological needs of the pupils, and providing effective and appropriate feedback in a safe and healthy psychological environment
• providing adaptations for pupils with additional needs
• providing opportunities for rest and recovery based on the demands of the dance activity.